Which safes are best for home?Before deciding to buy, you should carefully study the lineup and pay attention to some features.
Key features of safesIn order to choose the best safe for personal use, you need to decide on 6 main parameters. Let's take a closer look.
1. Classes of resistance to burglary. The classification of safes is carried out in special certification centers, subjecting the tested model to tests specific for a particular resistance class. The higher the resistance class of the safe, the more difficult it will be to crack it. The design of such models consists of several steel sheets with special reinforcing layers between them. For home, it is advisable to purchase a safe of at least class 2.
2. The fire resistance of the safe is also classified. Typically, the marking shows protection at 30, 60 or 120 minutes with a letter indication of what exactly will be kept intact for the specified time. For example, in the common markings "NT Fire 017 - 30P", "GOST R - 30B", "EN 15659 - LFS 30P" the letter "B" at the end means paper (P - paper). It can be paper money or documents that will remain in the safe in case of fire for 30 minutes (at a temperature of 927 ° C). It is assumed that the fire must be extinguished within the specified period of time, and the safe must be handed over to the service department for opening.
Some models of safes may have burglary protection, others - fire protection, and others - combined protection against both. All other models are metal furniture of one strength or another, which can be conditionally called safes, but understand that the level of its protection against unauthorized access is an order of magnitude lower.
3. Another important factor influencing the choice is the size of the structure. For personal use in a city apartment, it is better to select compact models that are easy to hide in the apartment from prying eyes. They will have enough space to store money, documents, a gun, jewelry. It is important to consider the weight of the safe and the load that the furniture structure, for example, can withstand.
4. According to the method of installation, safes are divided into: furniture, built into the wall (into the floor) and free-standing. Furniture safes, as described above, work well for apartments and small spaces. For private houses or residential premises with thick walls, it is preferable to use the second type, since built-in safes do not take up extra space, and are easily masked by interior items and decor. Freestanding safes, as a rule, have dimensions larger than furniture or built-in counterparts. They will already fit guns, antiques, folders with documents and more. A jewelry safe, for example, can be equipped with drawers, a mirror and velvet trim. The most important thing in installing a furniture or free-standing safe is to securely fix it with anchor bolts to the furniture, or better to the wall or floor, in order to exclude the possibility of moving the safe out of the room.
5. Another important aspect when choosing a safe is the type of locking device. The main types of existing safe locks are key, coded electronic or mechanical and biometric. And also, their possible combinations.
Which to choose? Let's take a look at examples. In the configuration of a safe with a key lock, the user receives 2 copies of the key. In this case, it is advisable to carry one with you, and keep the second in a secret place. This situation can be convenient if the safe has one or two users. If the key is lost or stolen (counterfeited), you are likely to get problems with access to the safe, both your own and unauthorized ones.
If the safe assumes access to a larger number of persons, then it is preferable to choose a safe with an electronic combination lock, since if necessary, it is easy to change the code and thereby terminate access to someone. Likewise, a safe with fingerprint or other biometric access can be reprogrammed if necessary.
A classic mechanical combination lock takes a little more time and attention to open than all other types of locks. This can be a problem for people who are impulsive or have finger motor problems. In addition, reprogramming a code may not be as easy as with an electronic lock.
Practice shows that the choice of a particular type of lock in a safe will depend more on the individual preferences of the future owner and to a lesser extent on the operating conditions. So, the main thing is that you already know some of the nuances.
6. After choosing a model that suits you best in all respects, you can go shopping. It is important to understand that the store - the seller of the safe, must not only provide you with a high-quality product, but also give a reasonable guarantee that you can always get service support during the safe operation. You forgot your password, you can't open or close the door, you lost your keys, they tried to open the safe and damaged it ... God forbid, of course, but everything in this life happens. The Luka Safes company has been selling, manufacturing and servicing safes since 1993. You can trust our experience and professionals. Our store in Kiev is located on Lev Tolstoy street, house 16. Come. Take your pick. Prices are negotiable. We are very loyal to our clients.